Monday, May 3, 2010

Thoughts from a morning person

I woke up at 6:00, on the dot this morning. Wide awake. No chance of going back to sleep. And I don't really have anywhere to be today. Oh well, such is life.

But really, mornings are my favorite time of day. My head is clear, I can gather my thoughts, it's calm. I love the part of the day when the sun has just come up, and things are getting brighter, and the birds are awake and singing. There's something about the promise of a new day, the potential of it, what it can become, that makes me happy. I do my best work, at home and on the unit, in the morning. Happy morning, everybody :)

Some other random thoughts I've had, but have been too busy to write an entry about:

Lately, I've done a lot of driving. When I drive, especially by myself, I listen to music and sing. Loudly. Probably badly. But, it's what I do. (Don't most people?) I like it, because music brings me memories. I don't know about everybody else, but I associate music, different songs and different artists, with different times in my life, and sometimes very specific memories. It brings back all these feelings - it's hard to describe, but I guess the best way I can put it is nostalgia. It's different than that, but I don't know how else to explain it. Like, I'll always associate The Avett Brothers' I and Love and You album (one of my very favorites) with my sister and Colton, her boyfriend. Because I had that playing when they came over for dinner at our house and we met him for the first time. Those songs makes me think of fall, and leaves changing, and the strange yet wonderful feeling I get during that time of year, a happy-but-sad at the same time feeling. I associate the song "Beyond the Sea" by Bobby Darin with Mark and dancing and happiness. Ben Folds makes me think of high school - no specific memories, just high school in general. There's a song by Chris Rice, a Christian artist, called "Come to Jesus" - that one I always listen to when a baby dies. It makes me cry every time I hear it. I listen to that when my heart is breaking. Colin Hay's "I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You" (from the Garden State soundtrack) I associate with freshman year in college, when I was trying (and failing miserably) to get over Mark. (Not the best choice of song to listen to when TRYING to get over someone, I guess...)
I could go on and on with more songs and albums. Memory is such a funny thing. Something so hard to understand. How such strong feelings can be attached to something that happened in the past - so strong that when you think of that time, you feel the exact same feelings again. Our brains are so complex - we will never really understand how they work.

And, just for kicks and cause I think it's really really cool - some science trivia on memory. Did you know that smells trigger memories the strongest of any other sense that we have? It's because the nerves in our nose that smell things go straight up into the frontal lobe in the brain - olfactory (smelling) nerves are the first of 12 cranial nerves. Smells are what hit the part of your brain that does all the memory stuff first. And that's why, when you walk into a kitchen that smells like pie/spaghetti/cookies/baking/whatever - you think of your mom. Or I do, at least. Isn't that neat?

No comments:

Post a Comment