Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Ridiculous, or How I Spent My Christmas Holidays

Last Monday, Mark and I traveled to Chattanooga for the beginning of our Christmas festivities. Here's what happened:

We arrived around lunchtime, and ate lunch with the fam, and spent the afternoon catching up and wrapping last minute presents and such. That evening, Kelly and I helped Mommy cook for dinner that night and dinner the next day (Monday was our "Christmas Eve" and Tuesday was "Christmas.") Things got just a little bit hectic, since we were trying to cook too many things at once, as usual...



The fire alarm went off. Four times. Because the oil in the pans for the cornbread ... well, it burned a little bit.



We still had to use the oil for the cornbread, so we poured it in anyway. One bowl of batter set up ... and one didn't, so well. We also had some trouble with the eggs...



... and the pizza dough, which we were eating for dinner that night.



And then things, as they usually do in the Shannon house, got just a little bit crazy...



I really love her :)



So that night, Daddy gave Mommy her present from him a bit early - and she got the boxes! I had written the clues to send her all over the house, looking for her gift.

One box was in the freezer. That was fun.



After 10 boxes, and 10 clues, and 10 rooms, she finally found her present!



A brand new camera! (Which she so desperately needed.)


Christmas Eve night, we watched the finale of the Sing-Off, and then went to bed. Everyone except Mark got up early the next morning and ate breakfast. We woke him up, and opened stockings!!


GLITTER!!!!!



I love my mother.



So, I think before we go any further, I need to pause and explain something. Mark always makes fun of me for making... I guess we could say unusual faces. Not on purpose. And he always, always laughs. Case in point:

Yes, ahem, a bit embarrassing. I was in mid-word - not posing, not making this face on purpose, just talking. I know, attractive, right? Well, I am here to say that this condition of mine is genetic.

Exhibit A: My mother

While this one isn't as bad as mine, she does pull out some really awesome faces, also not on purpose. I come by it completely naturally. Which you will see further proof of in...

Exhibit B: My grandmother, my mom's mom

This picture makes me giggle with delight every time I look at it. She, once again, is totally not meaning to make this face ... it just sort of happens. And there you go. Three generations of uncontrollable facial muscles. I think we should have a new syndrome named after us ...


Now, back to Christmas! And Presents!
We started with Ninny, and went down the line of oldest to youngest. (We're really nerdy and always take turns with our presents. This year was a bit different, but usually we each open one present at a time, around in a circle. It makes Christmas last much longer.) This year, we drew names and had a price limit in order to save money. Mommy drew Ninny's name.

A Snuggie :) (In fact, a kid's Snuggie - cause Ninny's so short.)



Kelly got Daddy's name - and gave him an argyle sweater!



I got Mommy - a few pairs of her earrings :)



Daddy drew Mark's name, and got him some books - this one makes him look like a white supremacist, but I promise he's not, he just studies them :)



Mark drew my name, and gave me these awesome slipper boots. I LOVE them!

Sadly, my camera died, and I failed to capture Kelly's presents. Ninny drew her name, and gave her a bunch of film for her camera, and some stirrup pants. Because, you know, my sister can rock anything.
I also missed the Snuggie insanity that commenced following the opening of presents. Kelly put on her green velveteen stirrup pants and posed with Mommy and Ninny in their Snuggies. It was amazing. And all captured on Mommy's awesome new camera!


Since Kelly and I missed seeing each other at Thanksgiving, we had to catch up on our annual photo-shoot. We are ridiculous.





Seriously, she's the best sister ever.


Then we played the new game that Santa brought us - it's called backseat drawer, and it was insanity. And so much fun.

Momma-daughter duo - Daddy was also on their team


Merry Christmas!

My mom has such a classy sense of style - everything is so simple, but so pretty. Her dining room tables are always gorgeous.



But as classy as she is...

...She still knows how to have fun. Dancing with the Cornish hens she made for Christmas Dinner :)




On Wednesday, we traveled to Griffin to celebrate Christmas with the Skinners. They are not quite as silly as my crazy Shannons (or, they are silly in a different way), and so I sadly do not have quite so many pictures. But it was still so much fun!

My husband, with the singing Santa hat, waving his arms and making himself look like he has paddles for hands. Love him :)



Wednesday night, we got to go to Fayetteville and hang out with my gpa, aunt, uncle, and cousins, which is always a fun time. Dada just got out of the hospital too, so it was nice to see him feeling a bit better :)


Back at the Skinner's, we opened presents on Christmas Eve, so they could go to their church and help out with the huge dinner they serve on Christmas day.

Thomas got an XBOX :)



Dad looks pretty as a picture ... I think he should wear this look to the bank, and see what they think :)

All in all, we had a very, very Merry Christmas. We came back on Friday evening, and got to see Avatar with Andy and Suzie, which was an AMAZING movie, and it's always fun to do stuff with them :) I worked the weekend, cleaned yesterday, and today Kelly is coming to visit! We also get to meet her new boyfriend, Colton, which I'm super excited about. She tells me I will love him - I hope she's right!

Hope everyone has a Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment