Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A little of everything...

It's a cold Wednesday (which is class day for Mark), and I'm sitting on the couch being a total lamesauce burning cds. Flashback to 9th grade, what?

But I do have an explanation. My stupid iPod car converter thing went kaput a few months ago, and I've not been able to find an adequate replacement, so it's just easier to burn cds to listen to in the car. (Disclaimer: I'm not stealing music. I bought all of it on iTunes, and I'm just transferring it to a listenable format for my car.)

In other news, holy cow, Thanksgiving is in 8 days!! Provisionally, I am totally ready with my 10 sweet potatoes (Yep. TEN. Thanks, CSA!) and have signed up to make sweet potato casserole plus some sort of dessert (possibly amaretto pie?) for my family's shin-dig. I've worked so, so much that the holidays have just totally snuck up on me, and I'm not quite ready other than having a bowl full of sweet potatoes (and a really, really beautiful pie pumpkin that hopefully I will be utilizing either today or tomorrow!)

Are you guys ready?

I sort of skipped the Thanksgiving decorations and am going to move straight to Christmas. My sweet mother gave me a box full of decorating goodies this year, and they will be put to good use in our apartment. I was planning to decorate today, but clearly that's not happening (since it's like 2:45 in the afternoon ... oh, where did the time go??) Anyway, Mark forbids anything Christmas-related before Thanksgiving. Lucky for me, I get to listen to the new Glee Christmas album in my car solo anytime I want to :)

Switching gears again ... (I'm sort of all over the place today, huh?) I have to figure out how to like turnips this week. And parsnips. I'm a bit nervous about the prospect of it all to tell you the truth, but I got a big 'ol bag of turnips, 2 carrots, and a mammoth parsnip in the CSA, and by golly, none of those veggies are going to waste. I've found a caramelized turnip recipe that I think will work with all the veggies together, and I think that if I maybe pair it with cous cous, it can stand on its own as a main dish? Maybe? (If that doesn't work out, there are always those sweet potatoes we can eat as backup...)

Okay. Time to run errands while Luna's still sleepy.

Sorry this was so choppy and scattered!!

2 comments:

  1. I did this with our turnips:

    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/slow-cooker-ham-with-turnips-recipe/index.html

    It was delicious! And the best part? We ate all that ham for a week. (Including turning it into ham-and-bean soup for a second life.)I paid $16 for the ham that lasted us like 4 dinners and 5 lunches. It was awesome.

    Are you ham-averse, like Elissa? This might not work if that's the case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh fun!
    I'm coming to your house to get my sweet-potato fix!

    ReplyDelete