Tuesday, June 22, 2010

25, and grown up

I think I'm finally starting to feel like a grown-up.

I don't really know why it's taken me this long... Well, I do know part of it. During the 2 years in which I worked nights, I didn't feel like a grown-up. I didn't feel like much of anything, actually, except a zombie.

But now that Mark is working daily, and I'm making breakfast and sending him off and have a pretty sweet morning routine ... I like it. Working on the weekends gives me the best of both worlds. I'm a housewife during the week, and I've gotten into a really great routine of cleaning and cooking (we haven't been out to eat for dinner since Kelly came to visit), and I love it. I feel like a real person. With a real life. And I still get to do what I love on Saturday and Sunday as well. It's a pretty sweet deal.

I've discovered some interesting things about myself during this process...

I actually like washing the dishes (which has always been my least favorite chore)  - but only if I do it in the morning. And with my iPod playing.

Cooking makes me incredibly happy. Eating, even more so :)

I like it when my house is clean. Therefore, I clean it. I know, very basic concept ... but it's taken me years to figure this out. (More like years to actually get up the motivation to DO the cleaning...) I've probably still got years to go before it's always the way I want it. Actually, let's be honest. That will probably never happen.

Speaking of, I need to go and conquer some of that cleaning. And dish-washing. And cooking. I'm making Mark a pie today, and the kitchen needs to be cleaned (first, before I start the pie, and then again after the pie ... why oh why can't they invent a self-cleaning kitchen??)

What are your favorite/least favorite household chores?

7 comments:

  1. My favorite: cooking (and eating!! yumm!)
    My least favorite: ironing and dish-washing.
    I wish I had that kind of routine too!! :)
    I'm glad you're feeling so good and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the cooking, and eating, haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i hear you! midnights = zombie! no questions asked! i do my best to get up and force myself into the land of the living--but you do tend to still feel cloudy :)

    however--i too love a clean house--even when i feel too tierd to get up and do anything---so it motivates me to get off my rump and dust. organize. etc. i HATE laundry!! but i don't mind dishes either. as long as the sun is shining in the kitchen windows!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, what kind of pie are you making Marky?

    As for chores, I don't mind laundry as long as I'm at home and not school. I hate organizing anything, but I like to scrub. So I like to clean the bathroom, and mirrors, and kitchen surfaces :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, i think i might adopt your strategy of doing the dishes in the morning and turning up some loud lively music! dishes have always been my least favorite, but this might just change that.

    and i, too, love to cook! who doesn't? especially when you have a routine like that! it's gotta feel good to be settled!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally identify with you on this. At the beginning of the school year I felt like a kid still, but now that I had finished my first year of grad school and teaching I feel like I am a grown up and in my 20's.

    I hate hate dishes, we never had a dishwasher at home so when I got my first apartment I was in heaven. I don't think I could live without one now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i feel like we might be the same person.
    especially when i read your post about excersize and the seventh circle of hell [that is gym class].

    ReplyDelete